Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Hot fresh tortillas


I will never go back to store bought again!! Last nite in a deperate quest for beef enchiladas and absolutely NOT wanting to drive back into town, I found a recipe for tortillas, whipped em up and WOW! Yum-ola! Super simple, easy, quick and much lighter than the store......sooooooooooooo, I suggest you try em your self! Ole!
Oh, here is the recipe...............................
2.5 c all purpose flour
Scant 1/2 c shortening (3.5 oz)
1 t salt
1 c warm water
In my kitchen aid I mixed flour, shortening and salt. Mix till crumbly (love that word), about 3 minutes. With mixer running stream in warm water (I didn't use the whole cup). You want to be able to hanlde it so you don't want it sticky. Get it out of mixer and form into a ball, put it in a bowl to rest 15 minutes to an hour, cover with towel. Then make 12 smaller balls, let rest again, 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface roll balls into 8 to 10 inch circles, it seems really thin but its right. Heat a dry griddle to medium and start cooking, they'll get puffy and brown. Serve warm or make into enchiladas, tacos, etc. My kids love them just warm right off the griddle!

No comments:

Post a Comment